Friday, May 4, 2012

"...IMPOSSIBLE things are happening every day!"

In the midst of our chaos last weekend, we were blessed with the opportunity to go see a production of Cinderella that was the work of my high school alma matter, with an orchestra conducted by my brother-in-law.  They did a fabulous job (made me wish we'd have done musicals when I was in school there...) and thanks to them, I've had the song the Godmother and Cinderella sing stuck in my head all week.  I'm sure that was no coincidence! 

Monday and Tuesday we spent going back and forth with our translator, trying to get him to supply everything we need for the Haitian Consulate and he pretty much refused.  On Tuesday night, we went to dinner with some dear friends from our new church but our hearts were heavy.  The wife of this couple asked me what's going on with our adoption, so I started filling her in on the issues we've been having with the translator and that we're likely going to have to find a new one, but finding a new translator who would comply with these requests was proving to be quite difficult.  Out of no where her response is "Let me call my Dad."  ???!?!?!?!  Huh?  Turns out her father is a certified French translator.  That was a little TOO much of a coincidence for me...I see it for what it really is...a miracle! 

So, Wednesday I gathered all our paperwork from all over the place and do my best to piece it together for him and send it to him late in the afternoon.  Just after sending it, I also got an email from our lawyer via our friend who is a misisonary in Hait (God bless her!  She spent 2 1/2 hours working through all of this with our lawyer) basically saying that...oh, by the way IBESR will be accepting applications through May 7 before they shut down until June.  May 7th...that is Monday and the day I get to Haiti!!!  Her plan is to meet me at the airport, grab our dossier, then run to the IBESR and get it submitted.  Then we will meet later to discus the details.  Miracle #2. 

First thing Thursday morning, I got a call from the translator (who had just looked over our documents) who just wanted to inform me that what we were asking of him was nothing short of impossible.  Basically for him to complete all this and get it in the mail to us in time for us to take it to Atlanta will require a third miracle.  We've been working closely with him and his wife over the past 26+ hours to get this ready.  One minute we think there is no way it's going to happen, then the next there is a glimmer of hope.  The emotional aspect of this feels oddly similar to spiritual warfare...  We're praying for Miracle #3.  Fed-ex is scheduled to pick up our packet today at noon in Tulsa, OK (1:00 pm our time).  Please be in prayer with us that this mircale will happen!  I know God is able!

Please also be in prayer that the Haitian Consulate (we have another appointment at 9:00 tomorrow morning) will sign off on our dossier and that the IBESR will accept it on Monday.  Also in the midst of all of this, I found myself at the doctor's office Wednesday night with an ear infection and a sinus infection.  If you don't mind, I would appreciate your prayers for that too and for safe travels this weekend and to/from Haiti over the next week and a half.

Peace and love to you all!

2 comments:

  1. Bethany - you're updates are great! really pulls me into what you're going through as you get closer to finalizing your adoption - I can think of lots of encouraging words but the old famous 'God does not ask of you what you can not handle' and of course 'what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger' is another!
    Hang in there!! All of these steps remind me of the 9 months of pregnancy - giving you and your husband time to prepare for your daughter coming into your lives and home - boy....isn't it going to be worth it! can't wait for the next post - Beth & Curves

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beth! God is SO good and we know he is working all of this out. In the meantime, we praise Him! :)

    ReplyDelete